Re: A .notdef glyph

From: John Cowan (jcowan@reutershealth.com)
Date: Thu Nov 07 2002 - 17:32:14 EST

    Thomas Chan scripsit:

    > I'm not familiar with how the GETA MARK is supposed to be used in
    > Japanese, but I hesitate to blur the possible distinction between
    > 1) "there's a character here but you don't see it because the font is
    > missing a glyph", 2) "there's no character here for you to see because
    > what the author would like to put there is not encoded in Unicode",

    Well, the GETA MARK goes back to hot-lead typography, and means "character is
    not in the physical font". In such circumstances, there is no question of
    encoding, so the distinction between #1 and #2 collapses.

    In any event, John Hudson's glyph is inspired by GETA MARK but looks
    different.

    --
    John Cowan                              <jcowan@reutershealth.com>
    http://www.ccil.org/~cowan              http://www.reutershealth.com