Re: A .notdef glyph

From: John Hudson (tiro@tiro.com)
Date: Thu Nov 07 2002 - 17:06:34 EST

    At 15:29 11/7/2002, Barry Caplan wrote:

    >Can you provide a document which provides this in context and with the
    >traditional rectangle? Maybe at various point sizes? Looks a lot like pop
    >art to me but I wouldn't head off the discussion yet....

    I can't do that right now, but I will do over the next few days. I'll also
    include some other .notdef glyphs I have come across in fonts.

    It's not so much pop art as op art. My guess is that, using b/w bitmap
    rendering, it could not be cleanly rendered below 12 ppm, presuming it was
    scaled to the cap height, which is what I typically do for the .notdef
    glyph. Below that size, you would have less than 8 pixels to deal with. It
    could be made taller, of course, up to the full body height.

    John Hudson

    Tiro Typeworks www.tiro.com
    Vancouver, BC tiro@tiro.com

    It is necessary that by all means and cunning,
    the cursed owners of books should be persuaded
    to make them available to us, either by argument
    or by force. - Michael Apostolis, 1467