Re: Speaking of Plane 1 characters...

From: Michael Everson (everson@evertype.com)
Date: Mon Nov 11 2002 - 16:17:24 EST

    At 13:11 -0800 2002-11-11, Michael \(michka\) Kaplan wrote:

    > > Perhaps it is just me, but terms like scalar value just don't mean
    > > anything to me. It rather reminds me of reptilian skin shedding.
    >
    >Since I do not use that term on my site, I assume you are referring to
    >someone else's resource? :-)

    It was related to this thread but in a previous post. Nevertheless a
    little gentle user-friendliness on your page would help me to use it
    more easily. Just a teensy tutorialette and a weensy example at the
    top? A little hand-holding?

    > > I visited MichKa's page and tried typing in 10312 (OLD ITALIC LETTER
    >> KU) and it did convert to a surrogate pair. I wonder what would
    >> happen if I pasted it into an HTML document. Hmm but I couldn't do
    >> that until I converted them to UTF-8....
    >
    >Well, since the page advertises itself as a UTF-16/UTF-32 sort of converter,
    >I would hope that the lack of UTF-8 byte conversion would be expected.....

    Gee, what I really need is a UTF-8/UTF-16/UTF/32 sort of converter
    that handles surrogates.... ;-) "There isn't such a thing and there
    ought to be." :-)

    > > By the way MichKa if you make the boxes a bit wider the whole string
    >> of numbers would display.
    >
    >What numbers did not display for you? They all fit for me....

    The surrogate pair shows three digits and a tiny little popup
    triangle to tell you that there's a fourth digit. If you need to I
    can send you a screenshot.