Re: N2515: Request for Roadmap - plane 3

From: Andrew C. West (andrewcwest@alumni.princeton.edu)
Date: Tue Nov 12 2002 - 11:03:19 EST

    On Tue, 12 Nov 2002 07:55:19 -0800 (PST), Peter_Constable@sil.org wrote:

    > BTW, the document certainly implies that it is plane 3 for which the label
    > AIP is proposed, but it doesn't actually state this.

    Nor does the document explain what is meant by "Extension C" - I assume that
    this means "CJK Unified Ideographs Extension C", but this may not be obvious to
    everyone.

    BTW, what is "CJK Unified Ideographs Extension C" intended to include ? Surely
    not any more ordinary Han ideographs - with over 70,000 ideographs already
    encoded, there can't be so many genuine ideographs that still need encoding as
    to warrant a whole new plane. However there is a real need to encode oracle bone
    characters and other ancient epigraphic forms of Han ideographs. Is this
    (hopefully) what Extension C is intended for ?

    Andrew