Re: Double Byte Character Set (DBCS)

From: Markus Scherer (markus.scherer@jtcsv.com)
Date: Wed Nov 13 2002 - 19:25:37 EST

    "DBCS" is an old, pre-Unicode term for character sets with Chinese/Japanese/Korean characters.

    >>This confuses me when I read of UNICODE. If the AS400
    >>supports UNICODE, and assuming DBCS & UNICODE are mutually
    >>exclusive, would it not make more sense to enable for UNICODE
    >>only from the outset?

    Yes, exactly. In that sense, Unicode support is a superset of "DBCS enablement". A Unicode-based
    application may have to convert between various charsets and Unicode on the edges, but all the
    support you need is provided internally by processing Unicode.

    Best regards,
    markus

    --
    Opinions expressed here may not reflect my company's positions unless otherwise noted.