Confused by the difference between Case Mapping Charts and SpecialCasing.txt (U+0130)

From: Teri Griopich (jemgfxpfoijb@doglover.com)
Date: Tue Nov 19 2002 - 05:33:17 EST

    Hello,

    I'm new to this e-mail distribution list, so my post might
    sound stupid for you all.
    Sorry in advance.

    Recently I have found a difference between Case Mapping
    Charts and SpecialCasing.txt.
    I have been wondering if you might help me clear up
    something.

    There is a file named "SpecialCasing.txt" which can be found
    at the following URL:
    http://www.unicode.org/Public/UNIDATA/SpecialCasing.txt

    I quote the following two lines from the file SpecialCasing.
    txt:
    # Preserve canonical equivalence for I with dot. Turkic is
    handled below.
    0130; 0069 0307; 0130; 0130; # LATIN CAPITAL LETTER I WITH
    DOT ABOVE

    The file "SpecialCasing.txt" says the lowercase letter of U+
    0130 LATIN CAPITAL LETTER I WITH DOT ABOVE is "0069 0307",
    unless the locale under consideration is Turkish or Azeri.

    However, the Case Mapping Charts (http://www.unicode.org/
    charts/case/) says U+0069 LATIN SMALL LETTER I is the
    lowercase letter of U+0130 LATIN CAPITAL LETTER I WITH DOT
    ABOVE.

    I am confused???

    Thanks in advance,

    Teri