Re: Morse code

From: Doug Ewell (dewell@adelphia.net)
Date: Fri Nov 22 2002 - 00:31:26 EST

    Anto'nio Martins-Tuva'lkin <antonio at tuvalkin dot web dot pt> wrote:

    >> BTW, which characters should be used to encode the dot and dash of
    >> Morse in a typographically correct way?
    > It looks best on some rounded fonts, like Vag. But in regular fonts
    > (both sans and serif) a middle dot and a hyphen (or em dash, or en
    > dash, or minus, etc) look respectively like
    >
    > (_) [_____]
    >
    > while it would be visually more pleasing, especially at larger point
    > sizes, either something like

    > or

    In every large-font rendering of Morse dots and dashes I have ever seen,
    the dot is round and the dash has square corners.

    Pardon the flame, but there is no need to add characters to Unicode so
    that Morse code dots and dashes can be rendered in a "visually more
    pleasing" way. C'mon already.

    -Doug Ewell
     Fullerton, California