Re: [OT] Morse code (was: Morse coded Unicode)

From: Otto Stolz (Otto.Stolz@uni-konstanz.de)
Date: Fri Nov 22 2002 - 04:42:25 EST

    Tom Gewecke wrote:

    > Isn't Morse simply the first (variable bit) binary character encoding

    > standard, which was followed by the 5-bit Baudot, various 6, 7, and 8 bit

    > encodings, and finally (we hope) by the 21 bit Unicode?

    Morse code isn't a binary code, but rather a quaternary one:
    It has four distinct code elements, viz. dot, dash, character gap,
    and word gap.

    Alternatively, you can think of it as a ternary code, when you
    represent the word gap by three consecutive character gaps (which
    will physically make no difference in audible, or flashlight,
    rendering).

    But binary? No, Sir! You cannot do without the gaps.

    Best wishes,
       Otto Stolz