Possible proposal for new Hebrew accent character

From: Julian Gilbey (jdg@polya.uklinux.net)
Date: Thu Nov 28 2002 - 07:05:27 EST

    I'd like to ask for people's advice before submitting a proposal.

    In the Hebrew part of Unicode, there are a range of positions
    allocated to Biblical accents (U0591-U05AE). In particular, one of
    them is:
      05AA: HEBREW ACCENT YERAH BEN YOMO
    with a note "= galgal".

    Now, from my recent studies in the field, it appears that in the books
    of Psalms, Proverbs and Job, which use a different accentuation system
    from the rest of the Bible (Old Testament), there are two similar
    accents which are often printed in the same way, but which were
    clearly distinguished and written differently in the early
    manuscripts. One is usually called the GALGAL, the other is called
    ETNAH HAFUKH. (I don't recall offhand which one is the same symbol as
    the YERAH BEN YOMO.)

    Would it be reasonable to propose the addition of a new accent symbol
    ETNAH HAFUKH (or GALGAL, with the note attached to YERAH BEN YOMO
    changed to "= etnah hafukh")?

    Thanks,

       Julian

            Julian Gilbey, website: http://www.polya.uklinux.net/