Re: unicode in Mac

From: Raymond Mercier (RaymondM@compuserve.com)
Date: Sun Jan 26 2003 - 15:57:06 EST

    Tom Gewecke writes
    >PS The FEFF could well be the BOM (Byte Order Mark) which NotePad puts at
    >the beginning of UTF-8 encoded files (even though it is not needed or
    >customary for other apps to do so). It does not have any significance.

    The opening bytes are FF FE ( or FEFF read as a short integer), imposed
    when the file is saved in Word as a plain text unicode.
    If these two bytes are deleted the text still opens correctly in Notepad.

    The MAC OS is OS 9; my colleague has been put off by an attempt to install
    OS X, although the CD for it came with his new machine.
    I am surprised that he should expect such difficulties with OS 9.

    Raymond