Re: Ligatures (was: FAQ entry)

From: John Hudson (tiro@tiro.com)
Date: Mon Mar 10 2003 - 02:02:36 EST

    At 02:40 PM 3/9/2003, Pim Blokland wrote:

    >And similarly, f has overlappings with several more letters, so
    >you would need ligatures for fb, fh, fk, fþ etc. But then where would it
    >end?

    It ends where the font developer wants it to end, hopefully informed by
    some linguistic likelihood. In my case, it usually ends with fb ffb ff fh
    ffh fi ffi fj ffj fk ffk fl ffl. These are the only ligatures I include in
    every font: any additional ligatures would be design-specific or discretionary.

    Note that I do not consider æ and œ to be ligatures per se, since they
    represent independent vowels.

    John Hudson

    Tiro Typeworks www.tiro.com
    Vancouver, BC tiro@tiro.com

    It is necessary that by all means and cunning,
    the cursed owners of books should be persuaded
    to make them available to us, either by argument
    or by force. - Michael Apostolis, 1467