Re: Encoding: Unicode Quarterly Newsletter

From: Kenneth Whistler (kenw@sybase.com)
Date: Mon Mar 10 2003 - 20:54:38 EST

    Not to disagree publicly with Michael or Mark on this, but
    in the interests of accuracy, I should point out that if the
    rest mass of the Unicode 4.0 publication is assumed to be exactly
    4.1 kg (which then would, indeed, also be the case on our
    moon, or even a Jovian moon), and ignoring any relativistic
    corrections for relative motion -- since it is unlikely that
    anyone will be reading the standard while it is moving at
    a significant fraction of the speed of light -- then we can
    calculate the weight as being *approximately* 9.05 pounds
    (avoirdupois) [or 10.99 troy pounds].

    However, since the gravitational constant varies both by
    latitude and elevation, to be more precise, one must
    also apply the latitude correction:

      g = 978,049 (1 + 0.0052884 sin 2theta - 0.0000059 sinē 2theta) milligals
          (where theta is latitude in degrees)

    and the free-air correction:

      dR = ~0.31 milligals/m > sea level

    and then recalculate the weight, accordingly, depending on where
    one is standing (or sitting in a comfortable arm chair, perhaps)
    on the surface of the earth.

    Of course, further weight corrections need to be applied if reading
    the standard *below* sea level or in a deep cave.

    --Ken