Re: Private Use Area

From: Michael \(michka\) Kaplan (michka@trigeminal.com)
Date: Thu Apr 24 2003 - 10:00:17 EDT

    In that case, you might be out of luck, to the extengt that luck is defined
    as a half-acre of PUA that is not used by anyone.

    But that is not all; one day off the BMP may be used as well! After all, I
    once thought that a 4mb hard drive was all I could ever need, while now I
    look at a stack of fifteen 40gb drives and then four Maxtor 250gb drives are
    less than feet away.

    As a rule, people fill available space, somehow (though I would be not deign
    to judge whether the digital media I store is more or less important than a
    particular usage of the PUA!)

    Unless you write your OS and your apps, you have to assume that anyone or
    veryone may be using some random piece of the PUA and not explaining it.
    Apps may try not to do this, and OSes may try to do the same, but assuming
    that someone will not stomp on them is a true and tried recipe for
    disappointment....

    MichKa