Re: French group separators, was Re: The character for 10**24 in Japanese numbers (jo)

From: Jim Allan (jallan@smrtytrek.com)
Date: Mon Jul 07 2003 - 10:37:33 EDT

    Philippe Verdy posted:

    > I can't make a recommandation on which space figure to use.
    > Ideally, it must just be *less wide* than a digit and *not justified*, it must
    > be *unbreakable*. The ideal space to use depends on the available fonts,
    > and in practive most texts are coded with NBSP (sometimes a standard
    > SPACE, but using simply nothing is better than using a SPACE), and the
    > final space is substituted during formatting before publishing.

    If this space *must* be *unbreakable*, as obviously it must, the only
    spaces that are available for use in Unicode are U+000A NO-BREAK SPACE
    or U+202F NARROW NO-BREAK SPACE.

    All other spaces (of size other than zero-width) in Unicode indicate
    allowable line breaks.

     From Unicode Standard Annex #14:Line Breaking Properties at
    http://www.unicode.org/reports/tr14/tr14-13.html:

    > 2000 EN QUAD
    > 2001 EM QUAD
    > 2002 EN SPACE
    > 2003 EM SPACE
    > 2004 THREE-PER-EM SPACE
    > 2005 FOUR-PER-EM SPACE
    > 2006 SIX-PER-EM SPACE
    > 2008 PUNCTUATION SPACE
    > 2009 THIN SPACE
    > 200A HAIR SPACE
    > 205F MEDIUM MATHEMATICAL SPACE
    >
    > The preceding list of space characters all have a specific width, but
    > behave otherwise as breaking spaces. In setting a justified line,
    > normally none of these spaces, except for THIN SPACE when used in
    > mathematical notation, will change in width. See also the SP property.

    Accordingly in French U+202F NARROW NO-BREAK SPACE is the character to
      be used before or after certain punctuation for narrow spacing where
    no break is allowed, not U+2009 THIN SPACE or any other spacing character.

    Jim Allan