Re: French group separators

From: Michael Everson (everson@evertype.com)
Date: Mon Jul 07 2003 - 12:12:25 EDT

    At 11:49 -0400 2003-07-07, John Cowan wrote:

    >It's a typewriter-based convention, and is suitable for monowidth fonts only.

    It's a beastly practice held over from the time when it was useful
    (that is, when typesetters set the type from the typescript), and I
    wouldn't use it in monowidth typesetting either.

    I am rereading the Lord of the Rings, and have noticed that my copy,
    which I have had since I was 14, was typeset with double spacing
    between the sentences. I am considering buying a new copy, much as I
    love my old ones....