Re: Last Resort Font

From: Michael Everson (everson@evertype.com)
Date: Tue Aug 19 2003 - 17:52:55 EDT

    At 17:26 -0400 2003-08-19, John Cowan wrote:
    >Michael Everson scripsit:
    >
    >> No. It generates much much better glyphs than that. See
    >> http://developer.apple.com/fonts/LastResortFont/
    >
    >Out of mild curiosity: (a) what font did you use to create the legends
    >in the frame of each glyph;

    Chicago.

    >(b) are all the various representative glyphs
    >drawn from a common font, and if so, which one?

    Of course they were not. No such font exists.

    >Defect reports based on the 236-page PDF:
    >
    >p. 17 (Thaana): the bottom of the frame reads "THAAN" with a broken glyph
    >following.
    >
    >p. 18 (Phoenician): the top of the frame reads "OENECIAN", the bottom is
    >blank, and the rest of the glyph is black.
    >
    >p. 55 (Pahawh): bottom of frame is blank.
    >
    >p. 63 (Syloti Nagri): both top and bottom read "SILOTI NAGRI".
    >
    >p. 171 (Brahmi): both top and bottom read "BRAMHI".

    I will look into all of that, and thank you for it; but note that of
    those only Thaana can be expected to display, as none of the others
    have been encoded. So none of those could EVER be displayed; they are
    just extra glyphs in the current font.