RE: Non-ascii string processing?

From: Elliotte Rusty Harold (elharo@metalab.unc.edu)
Date: Tue Oct 07 2003 - 08:07:53 CST

At 12:35 PM +0100 10/7/03, Jill Ramonsky wrote:

I have yet to see an APPLICATION which needs a character-based API.
Jill

A W3C XML Schema Language validator needs a character based API to
correctly implement the minLength and maxLength facets on xsd:string
and types derived from it. Perhpas you would argue that the schema
language should itself be written in terms of grapheme clusters
rather than characters, but it isn't and thus we need to handle
characters to implement a validator in accordance with the spec.

--
   Elliotte Rusty Harold
   elharo@metalab.unc.edu