A certain committee?

From: Jill Ramonsky (Jill.Ramonsky@aculab.com)
Date: Mon Oct 20 2003 - 06:07:33 CST

Now THIS intrigues me.

Who were this "certain committee"? And why did they have so much control
over the Unicode Consortium that they could force the introduction of a
new character block that nobody had ever previously used? What was this
"abuse of UTF-8" of which you speak. Indeed, what /is/ an "abuse" of
UTF-8? What does the phrase even mean?

How can you possibly add a block of characters to Unicode and then say
"the UTC sincerely hopes that they never get used at all"? (Particularly
when there are still people around whose actual real characters are
still not being added).

If this "certain committee" had intended to (falsely) declare something
as UTF-8 and then embed something like:

    <XXX>lang=en-uk<YYY>

where <XXX> and <YYY> are invalid UTF-8 byte-sequences, then so what?
That would simply mean that "a certain committee"'s code wouldn't then
interoperate with the rest of the world. Why is that any business of the
UC's?

Hell, if only the KLI had thought to implement the Klingon alphabet in
invalid UTF-8 sequences - then maybe the UC would have added Klingon
characters just to shut them up, saying things like "it's not really a
script", and "the UTC sincerely hopes that they never get used at all".
Could have saved an awful lot of time!

Jill