Re: Unicode and Script Encoding Initiative in San Jose Mercury News

From: Doug Ewell (dewell@adelphia.net)
Date: Mon Oct 27 2003 - 23:35:53 CST

Eric Muller <emuller at adobe dot com> wrote:

> Doug Ewell wrote:
>
>> [...] about "You see, boys and girls, computers think only in
>> numbers" -- in a Silicon Valley paper,
>
> > [...] Should we tell them about “real” quotes?
>
> “real quotes” are not just for Web publication; they are also for
> email.
> Throw in real dashes, of the kind – en or em – you prefer

Nice.

I contend that my use of straight quotes and ASCII hyphi in an ephemeral
e-mail is far less offensive than the Mercury News'(s) use of ``this
abomination'' in a professionally written article.

That said, I can try to improve my use of real Unicode punctuation on
these lists, if I have time to paste it in (since my keyboard doesn't
support it). I remember being told by someone a few years back that I
should limit my use of UTF-8 on the Unicode list, due to the inability
of some list members' e-mail software to handle it. At the time I was
one of those members with a Unicode-ignorant e-mail client, and I still
didn't agree with the suggestion.

-Doug Ewell
 Fullerton, California
 http://users.adelphia.net/~dewell/