Re: Merging combining classes, was: New contribution N2676

From: Philippe Verdy (verdy_p@wanadoo.fr)
Date: Thu Oct 30 2003 - 13:40:07 CST

----- Original Message -----
From: "Jim Allan" <jallan@smrtytrek.com>
To: <unicode@unicode.org>
Sent: Thursday, October 30, 2003 4:48 PM
Subject: Re: Merging combining classes, was: New contribution N2676

> I offered a suggestion on cedilla and combining undercomma:
>
> > / It seems to me that Cedilla/undercomma folding would be a useful /
> > /addition to "Character Foldings" at
> > http://www.unicode.org/reports/tr30. /
>
> and Philippe Verdy responded:
>
> > Excellent idea, however it has to be tailored by language:
> >
> > For example, Turkish and French (which almost always and consistently
use
> > preferably a cedilla) behave differently of Romanian and Latvian (which
> > should use preferably a comma below).
>
> No.
>
> Forced tailoring by language would greatly reduce the usefulness of such
> foldings for search purposes.

I do think the opposite: one can fold all commas below to cedillas by
default,
and, in a Romanian or Latvian context, fold all cedillas below to commas
below.

This won't break searches for
- Latvian or Romanian which would use localized folding to commas below,
- for French or Turkish if they ever use the default folding to cedillas.
- for generic multilanguage searches if they choose not to use that folding
and
keep cedillas distinct.

The difference being only in the result of this folding.