Re: Hexadecimal digits?

From: Philippe Verdy (verdy_p@wanadoo.fr)
Date: Sun Nov 09 2003 - 07:29:49 EST

    From: "Simon Butcher" <pickle@alien.net.au>

    > > http://www.dkuug.dk/jtc1/sc2/wg2/docs/n2677
    > > N2677
    > > Proposal for six Hexadecimal digits
    > > Ricardo Cancho Niemietz - individual contribution
    > > 2003-10-21
    > <snip>
    >
    > Could be interesting for processing, and I can see a reason for keeping
    > these unique from U+0041-U+0046 but ultimately I thought the hex "byte
    > picture" proposal would have been more useful.

    Why that? How will you represent hex sequences with variable number of
    nibbles?
    The purpose of this proposal is to make those extra characters really
    numeric and not letters, with only a compatibility equivalence (not a
    canonical one) with ASCII letters to which they ressemble.

    Something like:
    ..;HEX DIGIT FIFTEEN;No;...;<font>LATIN LETTER CAPITAL F

    If we have hex bytes, we no longer can represent arbitrary lengths of
    nibbles, such as in:
        U+10000 and U+AFFFD
    where the number of digits is odd...

    Also, the "hex bytes" are introducing the idea of a bounding box surrounding
    them. If full justification (thai style) is applied, we would get such
    rendering:
      U + [FF] [FD]
    where surrounding boxes could also appear, delimiting bytes.

    If odd numbers of digits is not supported, one would have to use a mix of
    ASCII letters and "hex bytes", producing unpleasant things like:
      U + A [FF] [FD]
    with differnt styles for digits...

    The suggestion of making hex digits presentation forms is good, as well as
    ordering them for collation just after the numeric digit 9, and not with
    Latin letters, given their expected usage.