Thanks for the answers on dictionaries

From: Theodore H. Smith (delete@elfdata.com)
Date: Fri Nov 21 2003 - 19:56:37 EST

    On dictionaries, for storing/getting key/value pairs...

    I've finished doing my reading up on a whole variety of
    implementations, solutions, and rationales. That inbetween real life
    things.

    I've decided to avoid most of them, though, and make one that's wholly
    my own! Use parts of the theory, skip the implementation! The
    implementation I've chose can't work in an object oriented language
    properly, it only applies well to low level languages like C, which
    lets you talk in something slightly closer to the machine's real
    language.

    Lets see how it goes. Assuming my understanding of the tests that I've
    read are correct, and the tests apply usefully to Macs (they were on
    MIPS machines, whatever that is, and they ran Linux) the performance
    should be good.

    I'm not sure how long it will take to write and debug, as I'm really
    making this up for myself, and it's using a complex structure, but it
    could be from 1 to 3 days.

    If the results are reasonable, or good, I'll ask about to see if anyone
    has done what I've done, and if not, I may write a detailed
    description, and hopefully someone may take interest to put it in a
    place where other people may learn about the TheoTrie.

    --
         Theodore H. Smith - Macintosh Consultant / Contractor.
         My website: <www.elfdata.com/>