Re: Normalisation stability, was: Compression through normalization

From: Peter Kirk (peterkirk@qaya.org)
Date: Tue Nov 25 2003 - 13:40:09 EST

    On 25/11/2003 08:55, Doug Ewell wrote:

    >Normalization may or may not have an effect on compression. It has
    >definitely been shown to have an effect on Hebrew combining marks.
    >
    >I must ask, however, that we try to keep these issues separate in
    >discussion, and not let the compression topic, if there is to be any,
    >degenerate into a wing of the lengthy and contentious Hebrew thread.
    >I'm hoping people won't be scared away from discussing compression for
    >fear of being dragging into Meteg Wars.
    >
    >Thanks,
    >
    >-Doug Ewell
    > Fullerton, California
    > http://users.adelphia.net/~dewell/

    Well, Doug, I see your point; different topics should be kept separate.
    But I changed the subject line precisely because the thread has shifted
    from discussion of compression to a general discussion of normalisation
    stability. But it has not shifted to a discussion of Hebrew. In fact
    Hebrew hasn't even been mentioned in this thread in relation to
    normalisation, although I did mention it in relation to the discussion
    of Korean precomposed characters. You have simply assumed that I am
    interested only in Hebrew, which is not true.

    --
    Peter Kirk
    peter@qaya.org (personal)