Fonts on Web Pages

From: Arcane Jill (arcanejill@ramonsky.com)
Date: Tue Dec 02 2003 - 05:29:56 EST

    Anyone know the current status on embedded fonts in web pages?

    I basically have two questions. (1) Assume the existence of a font to
    which I legally own the copyright. For example, let's say I invented it.
    Now, I design a web page which uses this font. Now, it's easy (but
    /terribly/ inconvenient) to say on the web page "Please download and
    install this font in order to view this web page correctly", but the
    truth is I know damn well that no-one will ever do that. So, short of
    using small image files, what's the current state-of-the-art technical
    solution to this.

    Question (2) is the same as question (1), except that I don't own the
    copyright. Suppose, for example I want to use this font called Garamond.
    It's on my machine. (I don't know how it got there - I think it came
    pre-installed with the OS). But of course, I can't guarantee that it
    will be installed on someone /else/'s machine. And since I don't own the
    copyright, and don't have explicit permission to distribute it, I don't
    think I'm even allowed to say "Please download and install this font in
    order to view this web page correctly". How do we solve this one?

    Jill