RE: no more precomposed characters for 1:1 conversion

From: Philippe Verdy (verdy_p@wanadoo.fr)
Date: Tue Dec 02 2003 - 14:36:34 EST

    Peter Jacobi wrote:
    > Envoyé : mardi 2 décembre 2003 14:30
    > À : Markus Scherer
    > Cc : unicode@unicode.org
    > Objet : Re: no more precomposed characters for 1:1 conversion
    >

    > Hi Markus,
    >
    > Markus Scherer <markus.scherer@jtcsv.com> wrote:
    > > ICU 2.8 has the ability to handle m:n character conversion
    > mappings driven
    > > by simple lines in
    > > Unicode conversion tables (text files).
    >
    > That's a nice coiincidence, to have this feature. I was wondering
    > if this would enable transcoding from legacy Tamil charsets (in visual
    > glyph order, like Thai) to Unicode.

    There's another generic m:n converter which supports stateful (contextual)
    conversion in SIL.org, based on a system similar to regular expressions with
    subexpressions used in search/replace operations in vi, except that this is
    more a system to search and replace by converting matches.

    I don't think that the m:n conversion in ICU is as powerful as the converter
    in SIL.org (look for example at the SIL-IPA93 converter, which has all the
    feature of a contextual shaping engine, and a glyph ligature processor, as
    it allows full control of the reordering of the converted code).

    << ella for Spam Control >> has removed Spam messages and set aside
    Newsletters for me
    You can use it too - and it's FREE! http://www.ellaforspam.com