Re: MS Windows and Unicode 4.0 ?

From: Mark E. Shoulson (mark@kli.org)
Date: Wed Dec 03 2003 - 19:28:29 EST

    On 12/03/03 00:33, Doug Ewell wrote:

    >If you really care about the fonts and layout of the text you
    >distribute, well, that's what PDF is for. If you don't want to use PDF,
    >but want to ensure that all your glyphs are displayed (possibly as a
    >nominal "code chart" glyph only), one alternative might be to recommend
    >the use of SC UniPad, a Unicode plain-text editor which can be
    >downloaded from <http://www.unipad.org>. UniPad includes a glyph for
    >every Unicode character except Plane 2, and if you are only using it as
    >a viewer, it is free.

    For Unix platforms, there's Yudit, a fine Unicode editor, with better
    rendering than a lot of other applications I've seen (Mozilla, for
    example, does a pretty damn good job these days, but Devanagari, last I
    looked, still misplaced the short-i vowel sign. Yudit does its own
    TrueType rendering and groks anchor-points, so even the qamats in a
    final kaf in Code2000 is raised up nicely).

    I have fun playing with Yudit's keymap-creation abilities, which can
    also be used for wholesale file conversion, so I've played with ones
    that translate Michigan-Claremont Hebrew transliteration into Unicode
    (with extras added to make it easier for me to type, since it's easier
    for me to remember than "normal" Hebrew keyboards), Klingon
    transliteration into PUA, and a favorite if longwinded one that lets me
    type "WHITE SMILING FACE" and get ☺

    ~mark