RE: Glottal stops (bis) (was RE: Missing African Latin letters (bis))

From: Peter Constable (petercon@microsoft.com)
Date: Fri Dec 05 2003 - 20:12:54 EST

    If they have been using it as unmarked case, how can one say that it is
    unmarked/lowercase rather than unmarked/uppercase?

    > reinterpret it as an *uppercase* glottal stop and introduce
    > a new lowercase glottal stop. *That* would result in endless
    > confusion and in data corruption.

    Actually, I think (and said a week ago or whenever) that leaving 0294 as
    lowercase and adding a new cap-height uppercase was more likely to lead
    to confusion and data corruption: the code charts show 0294 as cap
    height, and a new character would also show as cap height; data where an
    unmarked-case character is needed would have both 0294 and the new
    character mixed together; some fonts would contain cap-height glyphs for
    0294 (while some would use x-height glyphs), and users would get
    confused and frustrated as a result.

    For those situations in which unmarked-case glottal has been used, I
    think it would cause the least confusion to leave 0294 as a cap-height
    glyph, and call it upper case.

    > Look at the text of Pullum and Ladusaw, p. 211. All those
    > x-height forms are simply glyph variants.

    But have people been using 0294 as an x-height character? Most likely
    not in cases where an upper/lower distinction is used (they would have
    been using some custom legacy encoding). Of unmarked-case situations,
    x-height glyphs are not commonly used in phonetic transcription, that
    I'm aware of, and are never required. So, if they used a x-height glyph
    before and end up with a cap height, the data is still equally valid and
    legible. The only potential problems would boil down to orthographies
    with unmarked-case glottal that have encoded data in Unicode and that
    have used 0294 but explicitly require an x-height glyph. Not too likely,
    methinks, and whatever problem exists would be contained to only that
    pre-existing data. The confusion from the alternative, having a cap and
    a lowercase that can be displayed like a cap, would remain forever.

    Peter

    Peter Constable
    Microsoft Windows Division