RE: Text Editors and Canonical Equivalence (was Coloured diacritics)

From: Philippe Verdy (verdy_p@wanadoo.fr)
Date: Fri Dec 12 2003 - 10:34:30 EST

    Peter Kirk wrote:
    > On 12/12/2003 04:31, Michael Everson wrote:
    > > At 12:17 +0000 2003-12-12, Arcane Jill wrote:
    > >> And what, I find myself wondering, does "nearly infinite" mean?
    > > It means "finite".
    >
    > Except in the original context it should have meant "infinite", as there
    > is actually an infinite number of potential default grapheme clusters.

    I really meant "nearly infinite", because even if the potential default
    grapheme clusters are "infinite", the actual ones that have meaningful
    semantics and effective usage are "finite" (within the finite set of code
    points currently assigned in a precise Unicode version), but currently not
    precisely enumerable (that's where "nearly infinite" makes sense).

    << ella for Spam Control >> has removed Spam messages and set aside
    Newsletters for me
    You can use it too - and it's FREE! http://www.ellaforspam.com