RE: Text Editors and Canonical Equivalence (was Coloured diacritics)

From: Philippe Verdy (verdy_p@wanadoo.fr)
Date: Fri Dec 12 2003 - 13:27:46 EST

    Andrew C. West writes:
    > But why on earth are we talking about mapping grapheme clusters
    > to the PUA ?! I thought we had heard the last of that sort of
    > "heresy" when William softly and suddenly vanished away.

    I do agree that this is an heresy for the encoding of texts.

    But not for processing of grapheme clusters within internal
    processes that need a single code to represent them, such as
    fonts when they need to map them to glyph IDs (may be before
    or after contextual shaping, which may need its own glyph IDs).

    This is not an heresy for renderers as there's no intent to
    transmit the generated graphic documents as plain-text...

    << ella for Spam Control >> has removed Spam messages and set aside
    Newsletters for me
    You can use it too - and it's FREE! http://www.ellaforspam.com