Re: Swastika to be banned by Microsoft?

From: Elaine Keown (elaine_keown@yahoo.com)
Date: Mon Dec 15 2003 - 11:52:37 EST

            Elaine Keown

    Hi,

    > I'm embarrassed to admit it, but I find myself
    > thinking that the swastika, THE Nazi swastika,
    right-facing, tilted .....the whole deal, should be
    encoded

    This looks to me like the ideal place for an extended
    note in Unicode, not a code point.

    The note could describe the graphic differences
    between the existing code point and the Nazi version.

    All the names used elsewhere in Asia etc should be
    part of the note.

    Some things are really too evil to facilitate even in
    a small way in a computer code.

    When I was 25 and pregnant, I read a book about Jewish
    history in gentile "Christian" culture, focusing on
    the history north and west of the Caucasus (supposedly
    things were different in Caucasian Christianity) and
    south and east of Scandinavia/Ireland (where
    supposedly things have been different also most of the
    time).....The book is called
    The_Anguish_of_the_Jews:__23_centuries_of_Anti-Semitism_
    (Father Edward Flannery)

    Best read with a bottle of whiskey, tequila or vodka
    to dull the pain...expect nightmares.
    Elaine