Samaritan, was: Aramaic unification and information retrieval

From: Peter Kirk (peterkirk@qaya.org)
Date: Tue Dec 23 2003 - 18:51:49 EST

    On 23/12/2003 14:39, John Hudson wrote:

    > Now, that said, I am very keen to have the Samaritan shin encoded,
    > because this is used as a mark in the apparatus critici of the BHS and
    > possibly other Bible editions (in BHS it used in citations of
    > Pentateuchi textus Hebraeo-Samaritanus secundum). I'd be perfectly
    > happy to see it encoded as a Letterlike Symbol, since it is being used
    > as a symbol and not as a Samaritan letter.

    Agreed that the Samaritan shin is urgent for this reason.

    Agreed that the Samaritan script should be encoded separately, not least
    because it has a modern user community.

    It should be possible to prepare quite quickly a proposal for the whole
    Samaritan consonantal alphabet, and for the vowel points as well with
    help from Elaine. We can make contact with the Samaritan community
    through http://www.the-samaritans.com/forum/display_forum.asp or
    webmaster@the-samaritans.com and bring them into the process.

    --
    Peter Kirk