Re: German 0364 COMBINING LATIN SMALL LETTER E

From: Doug Ewell (dewell@adelphia.net)
Date: Sun Dec 28 2003 - 19:38:06 EST

    John Delacour <JD at BD8 dot COM> wrote:

    > English practice was generally, I think, to write the long s first
    > but _printed_ double s is always two tall longs, certainly in the
    > 18th century:

    I thought English practice was to write all s's long except at the end
    of a word, as opposed to the German practice of writing all s's long
    except at the end of a syllable (and composing ſ + s = ß as necessary).

    Compare these to the Greek distinction between σ and "word-final" ς. I
    would have assumed that current Greek usage of σ and ς is parallel to
    18th-century English usage of ſ and s, but TUS says (p. 176) that "use
    of the final sigma is a matter of spelling convention," so that
    assumption is probably overly simplistic.

    -Doug Ewell
     Fullerton, California
     http://users.adelphia.net/~dewell/