Re: Pre-1923 characters?

From: Philippe Verdy (verdy_p@wanadoo.fr)
Date: Sat Jan 03 2004 - 19:26:25 EST

    From: "Peter Kirk" <peterkirk@qaya.org>
    > On 03/01/2004 14:23, Peter Kirk wrote:
    > > On 03/01/2004 13:37, Philippe Verdy wrote:
    > >
    > >> We can't say from the exhibited uppercase alphabet that this should be
    > >> mirrored dotless j or a mirrored soft-dotted j if it is converted to
    > >> lowercase. So Peter, where did you find this image of an alphabet?
    > >
    > > It's not a mirrored J, ...
    >
    > The best description I can find of this character's glyph is that it is
    > an inverted (not rotated) U+0490/0491 (not to be confused with
    U+0413/0433).

    OK. But as your GIF image is taken from a satiric image published to promote
    the adoption of _a_ Latin script for writing all Turkic languages like
    Azeri, instead of Arabic, I think there was some debate at that time about
    which character to use, and that were defined later around 1929, just a few
    years after Turkey adopted the Latin script.

    So there may exist a lot of variants for this character used to
    transliterate Arabic letters, or Turkic sounds. Which one was effectively
    used between 1930 and 1939 in printed books before Stalin imposed the
    Cyrillic script after attempting to desunify the Latin alphabet proposed in
    the Turkic southern republics of USSR?

    Then as the Latin script was restored recently a few weeks after Azerbaikan
    became independant, is the new Latin alphabet adopted by the Azeri law
    exactly the same as the first Latin alphabet used within the 30's? Isn't
    there now additional letters needed to transcript Cyrillic letters that have
    been used for about 50 years in Azerbaijan?

    Wasn't there a proposal to reunify this alphabet so that it would allow
    exchanges with other Turkic languages that are used in now independant
    countries which have also opted for the Latin alphabet?

    Is the current Azeri Latin alphabet completely finalized? Aren't there some
    pending characters to solve problematic orthographs that are still currently
    written with inconsistent digraphs or diacritics, notably because of a more
    complex history with mixed Turkic, Arabic and Cyrillic heritages?