Re: LATIN SOFT SIGN

From: Philippe Verdy (verdy_p@wanadoo.fr)
Date: Mon Jan 05 2004 - 09:29:18 EST

    From: "Michael Everson" <everson@evertype.com>
    > At 05:30 -0800 2004-01-05, Peter Kirk wrote:
    >
    > >It seems that we do actually need two new character pairs, this one
    > >and also the soft sign lookalike - unless it is considered
    > >acceptable to use the Cyrillic characters in Latin text cf. the use
    > >of Latin Q and W in Cyrillic Kurdish.
    >
    > LATIN LETTER TONE SIX **is** the SOFT SIGN clone into Latin, and
    > should be used for Pan-Turkic. I've suggested, but perhaps not loudly
    > enough, that the reference glyph be modified to be more soft-sign
    > like.

    That's exactly what I suggested to Peter, and then summarized in the next
    message.
    So the only missing letter would be the "i with lower right hook", which for
    now has no better approximation than a dotless i plus a combining retroflex
    hook below (and why I suggested that this decomposition be acceptable as a
    compatibility decomposition of the new character).