Re: unicode Digest V4 #3

From: Peter Kirk (peterkirk@qaya.org)
Date: Mon Jan 05 2004 - 14:34:24 EST

    On 05/01/2004 10:17, Philippe Verdy wrote:

    >>Can we leave OI/gha out of this? ...
    >>

    >Certainly, but that's not me who suggested to unify the "i with bottom right
    >hook"
    >as a variant of "oi/gha". In fact if you read what I read, I have exactly
    >said the
    >opposite, because I have always thought that "oi/gha" was a variant of "g"
    >and not of "i"...

    Just for clarification, I didn't either. The first message in which the
    concept was mentioned was Philippe saying that he did not suggest this.

    >Look at the summary of sounds with "similar" glyphs I posted early, then
    >this is very clear... This summary was needed because the GIF posted by
    >Peter was not found in the list (Peter just posted a plain-text description,
    >but the table he created was not usable as all the column formatting was
    >lost from his post...)

    Sorry about this. I will try to recover the formatting. The following
    may work, if viewed with a fixed width font:

    Approx
    IPA 1923- 1933- 1958- 1992-
    sound 1933 1938 1991

    ɑ A a A a А а A a
    æ Ə ə Ə ə Ә ә Ə ə
    b B b B b Б б B b
    ʧ Ç ç C c Ч ч Ç ç
    d D d D d Д д D d
    e E e E e Е е E e
    f F f F f Ф ф F f
    ɟ Ƣ ƣ G g Ҝ ҝ G g
    ʁ G g Ƣ ƣ Ғ ғ Ğ ğ
    h H h H h Һ һ H h
    i I i I i И и İ i
    ɯ * Ƅ ƅ Ы ы I ı
    ʤ C c Ç ç Ҹ ҹ C c
    c (q) Q q K k К к K k
    χ X x X x Х х X x
    l L l L l Л л L l
    m M m M m М м M m
    n N n N n Н н N n
    ŋ Ŋ ŋ Ŋ ŋ
    o O o O o О о O o
    ø Ɵ ɵ Ɵ ɵ Ө ө Ö ö
    p P p P p П п P p
    ɢ K k Q q Г г Q q
    ɹ R r R r Р р R r
    s S s S s С с S s
    ʃ Ʒ ʒ Ş ş Ш ш Ş ş
    t T t T t Т т T t
    u Y y U u У у U u
    y U u Y y Ү ү Ü ü
    v V v V v В в V v
    j J j J j Ј ј Y y
    z Z z Z z З з Z z
    ʒ Ƶ ƶ Ƶ ƶ Ж ж J j
    ʔ ʼ ʼ ʼ ʼ

    * This is the unencoded "dotless i with retroflex hook".

    >Instead Peter could post a URL to his interesting Azeri alphabets which
    >compares the transliteration schemes that occured in different reforms from
    >Arabic to Latin then Cyrillic then agains Latin.

    Unfortunately this table is not on line.

    --
    Peter Kirk
    peter@qaya.org (personal)