Breton

From: Michael Everson (everson@evertype.com)
Date: Thu Jan 15 2004 - 19:05:01 EST

    At 00:25 +0100 2004-01-16, Philippe Verdy wrote:
    >From: "Michael Everson" <everson@evertype.com>
    >> At 22:11 +0100 2004-01-15, Philippe Verdy wrote:
    >>
    >> >The comment from Michael about the occurence of "gW" in Breton was wrong:
    >>
    >> I said I had seen it in print, which was true, and I said that it was
    >> rare, which is also true. It is not standard.
    >
    >OK. Then don't say it's Breton

    It was Breton.

    >It may occur in any Latin language, either as a typo

    It wasn't a typo.

    >or within specific technical usages such as variable names in a C or
    >Java program where a space cannot be used to separate words;

    It had nothing to do with that.

    >here also it's not the normal orthograph part of the language, but a
    >notation to allow more descriptive identifiers.

    It was done ON PURPOSE by the Breton who did it, in order to show
    orthographically the original spelling while showing the consonant
    mutation, a normal feature of the language.

    >If you accept typos and technical usages, these occurences of "defective"
    >capitalization rules are not rare but not part of the language.

    I do not feel chastened. I said what I meant to say, and I
    subsequently corrected a number of serious errors you made regarding
    alphabetical order in Breton. Apparently you don't care. Fine: drop
    it. N'eo ket talvoudus tamm ebet.