Chinese FVS? (was: RE: Cuneiform Free Variation Selectors)

From: Mike Ayers (mike.ayers@tumbleweed.com)
Date: Mon Jan 19 2004 - 17:13:36 EST

    > It use in Han is/will be restricted to cases where a base
    > character can
    > have multiple glyphic forms which some people may want to distinguish
    > in plain text. In all cases where variation selectors are
    > being used,
    > it's because the underlying *identity* of the character is constant,
    > but its particular glyph cannot be determined fully by context and
    > font/font settings.

            I'm a little confused by this. I'm sure you're not talking about
    script variations (traditional/simplified), but I'm not sure what that
    leaves. Is this to deal with the variations in numerals (everyday numerals
    vs. the special ones used for checks, etc.)? I'm just looking for a trivial
    example. Should I check the archives?

            Thanks,

    /|/|ike