Re: best editor in *nix that can do UTF16LE

From: Jungshik Shin (jshin@mailaps.org)
Date: Sun Jan 25 2004 - 00:37:24 EST

    Zhang Weiwu wrote:
    > Hello. I didn't find a good editor to work with some UTF16LE text file
    > (starts with FFFE) on *nix.
    >
    > The only edior I know deals with UTF16LE in the *nix world is mozilla
    > composer. I didn't test emacs: I'm not used to it.

       Vim supports UTF-16 BOM autodetection if you add the following line
    to your ~/.vimrc file:

    set fileencodings=ucs-bom,utf-8,your_primary_legacy_encoding

    where 'your_primary_legacy_encoding' is optional but can be handy if you
    have to deal with text files in that encoding (say, EUC-JP, ISO-8859-1,
    GB2312, Big5, etc) frequently.

    BTW, there are other editors for Unix that support UTF-16/32 if not the
    autodetection based on BOM. Check out mined and Yudit.

    Jungshik