Re: best editor in *nix that can do UTF16LE

From: Philippe Verdy (verdy_p@wanadoo.fr)
Date: Sun Jan 25 2004 - 16:53:28 EST

    From: "D. Starner" <shalesller@writeme.com>
    > > Hello. I didn't find a good editor to work with some UTF16LE text file
    > > (starts with FFFE) on *nix.
    > >
    > > The only edior I know deals with UTF16LE in the *nix world is mozilla
    > > composer. I didn't test emacs: I'm not used to it.
    > >
    > > Any hint? Thank you.
    >
    > yudit will work. The bigger question is why are you editing UTF-16LE on
    > *nix? Recode (using recode or iconv) it to UTF-8 on the way in, and
    > recode it to UTF-16LE on the way out, and use whatever Unicode editor
    > you want.

    What if the edited file is stored in a filesystem or store that is shared
    and accessed by other applications (may be running on other OS'es) that are
    assuming the UTF-16LE encoding? UTF-16LE has the same usage cases as
    UTF-16BE. The question is just whever UTF-16 (with a leading BOM) is an
    option, and if UTF-8 is a good enough storage format for non Latin-based
    languages, and if BOCU-1 or SCSU is an option for interoperability with
    existing apps which use these files.