Re: Collation for Greek letter koppa

From: Michael Everson (everson@evertype.com)
Date: Mon Jan 26 2004 - 14:54:24 EST

    At 08:39 -0800 2004-01-26, Peter Kirk wrote:
    >I have submitted to the UTC a proposal for changing the default
    >collation for the various forms of the Greek letter koppa, and
    >uploaded it to
    >http://www.qaya.org/academic/greek/Koppa-proposal.pdf. Your comments
    >are welcome.

    I have a comment.

    >See also Michael Everson's 1998 proposal for separate encoding of
    >archaic koppa, http://anubis.dkuug.dk/jtc1/sc2/wg2/docs/n1938.pdf
    >(note that Everson confuses san and sampi).

    Did I, in 1998? Golly. Must you point it out in quite this way,
    Peter? It just sounds like that Simpsons characcter who points and
    says "Hah hah!".

    >I note that Everson proposed disunification of alphabetic koppa
    >(variety 1) from numeric koppa (varieties 2-4); but the decision
    >taken by Unicode and ISO/IEC JTC1/SC2/WG2 was to disunify archaic
    >koppa (varieties 1-2) from modern koppa (variety 4).

    Jeepers. Could it be that in discussion with other experts, the idea
    was refined, and that this does not imply that Everson was -- horrors
    -- wrong?