Re: Public Review Issue #27

From: John Hudson (tiro@tiro.com)
Date: Tue Feb 10 2004 - 12:01:02 EST

    Peter Kirk wrote:

    > One question here which is more of principle. Last year there was a long
    > discussion of the appropriate method of inhibiting undesirable canonical
    > reordering e.g. between meteg and vowels but potentially in other
    > scripts. The mechanism agreed on, I think formally by the UTC, was to
    > use CGJ. But one reason for using CGJ was that ZWJ and ZWNJ were not
    > then available in this position. Now that they are available, would it
    > be better to use them rather than CGJ?

    The point of using CGJ for this purpose is that CGJ is not intended to affect rendering,
    so may be inserted as a neutral re-ordering inhibitor. If you insert ZWJ or ZWNJ, one
    presumably intends them to affect the rendering.

    Of course, if you do want to affect the rendering, insertion of ZWJ or ZWNJ will also have
    the effect of inhibiting reordering, so one should never need to insert both CGJ and ZWJ/ZWNJ.

    John Hudson