RE: Version(s) of Unicode supported by various versions of Microsoft Windows

From: Peter Constable (petercon@microsoft.com)
Date: Fri Mar 05 2004 - 16:29:52 EST

    > From: Patrick Andries [mailto:Patrick.Andries@xcential.com]

    > >>People *really shouldn't* ask "Does product X support Unicode
    version
    > >>N?" They should be asking questions like "Can product X correctly
    > >>perform function Y on such-and-such characters added in Unicode
    version
    > >>N?"
    >
    > This makes for a rather long list of questions if you want to know
    what
    > Microsoft supports in a new OS or product release for instance.

    Well, there is no way to answer a question like "What version of Unicode
    does Windows XP" support with anything other than a vague summary
    statement like "somewhere between 3.0 and 4.0" or a bunch of details.
    And since people tend not to find a vague summary very useful, I'm
    suggesting we'd all be better off if they simply asked about what
    specific functionality they need to know about. At least, until somebody
    comes up with some bright idea about other ways to answer such
    questions.

    One other option is to ask what languages / locales are supported, and
    that is how MS has been documenting things up to now. It's a slightly
    different question, but it's one that is answerable.

    Peter

    Peter Constable
    Microsoft Windows Division