Re: OT? Languages with letters that always take diacriticals

From: Antoine Leca (Antoine10646@leca-marti.org)
Date: Tue Mar 16 2004 - 15:07:42 EST

    On Tuesday, March 16, 2004 4:12 PM
    Radovan Garabik <garabik@melkor.dnp.fmph.uniba.sk> va escriure:

    > On Tue, Mar 16, 2004 at 02:24:14PM +0000, Marion Gunn wrote:
    >> Scríobh Radovan Garabik <garabik@melkor.dnp.fmph.uniba.sk>:
    >>>
    >> Irish in Roman script is written i with dot above,
    >> Irish in traditional script is written i without dot above.
    >
    > You have to decide one basic philosophical question:
    > is your dotless-i the same letter as our "i", only in your
    > traditional font, or is it a different letter?

    I let this to Marion

    > E.g. if you write foreign name in Irish, let's say "Philadelphia",
    > is it with dots or not?

    But here, I can answer: you did not read what she wrote:
    when writing with "Roman script", she writes a dot;
    when writing with "traditional script", she does not.

    > (For example, old German in Frakkur typeface has been decided to be
    > just different font, but the same lattin letters as we know today)

    Like U+017F? ;-)

    > If it is a different letter, then you should use U+0131 LATIN SMALL
    > LETTER DOTLESS I where appropriate,

    Well, going this way...

    > and all should work smoothly

    ... not so sure...

    > (except for spellcheckers and such,

    ... and keyboards, and existing applications, UIs, etc. and fonts that have
    it wrong (rendering U+0069 dotless), and it needs very strange "Roman
    script" fonts, where U+0131 should be rendered with a dot!

    Here for sure you will surprise a lot of Turks, and even much more people!!!

    Antoine