Re: Phoenician

From: jcowan@reutershealth.com
Date: Fri May 07 2004 - 16:45:47 CDT

E. Keown scripsit:

> So could you do this with all Semitic/Afroasiatic languages which have
> something like alef and beth? Is there a numeric limit?

No, there's no numerical limit. You could do it for whichever 22CWSAs
Unicode ends up encoding. Another consequence is that searching as well
as sorting would work: you could search at the first level for yod-he-vav-he,
and find either P-H or Square encodings, or you could search for specifically
P-H codes or particularly Square codes by using a finer degree of separation.

The more I think about this, the more I like it.

> Or if the Egyptian biconsonantal etc. stuff is harder to process,
> is that a limitation?

Collating Egyptian is a whole different ball of wax about which I know nothing.

--
De plichten van een docent zijn divers,         John Cowan
die van het gehoor ook.                         jcowan@reutershealth.com