Re: Multiple Directions (was: Re: Coptic/Greek (Re: Phoenician))

From: Philippe Verdy (verdy_p@wanadoo.fr)
Date: Mon May 17 2004 - 09:17:25 CDT

    From: "Dominikus Scherkl (MGW)" <DominikusScherkl@mgw-online.de>
    > > 2100="einundzwanzighundert"
    > That's not a german word (although we speek of the
    > "einundzwanzigstes Jahrhundert").

    I learned it at school, and it's in my German dictionnary. Possibly not used in
    regional variants, but my dictionnary really speaks about this usage for years
    before 2000 and after 2000 (unlike french where this usage is permitted for
    cardinals and numerals, not restricted to years, but only for values between
    1100 and 1999.)
    Another example: 1963="neunzehnhundertdreiundsichzig".

    > > for years or "zweitausendhundert" for cardinals;
    > zweitausendeinhundert
    > ^^^
    OK

    > > 21000="einundzwanzigausend").
    > einundzwanzigtausend
    > ^
    This was a typo with one of my PC keyboard whose "t" key has some difficulties.
    Sorry about this one. (this is a notebook keyboard and I can't replace it with a
    compatible model).