Re: Updated Phoenician proposal: confidential?

From: Peter Kirk (peterkirk@qaya.org)
Date: Sat May 29 2004 - 16:15:45 CDT

    On 29/05/2004 13:26, Rick McGowan wrote:

    >Peter Kirk wrote...
    >

    >>I understand that a revised version of "Final proposal for encoding
    >>the Phoenician script [WG2-N2746R]" has been submitted to the UTC
    >>and included in the official document register.
    >>

    >Posted Friday night, yes. I insisted on receiving it, and I postponed my
    >Friday evening dinner to upload it to the register and announce it.

    I am glad to hear it, and glad that you insisted on receiving it.

    >>Will this document be made public? Or is there an intention to conceal
    >>it from the public, or from the user community of the scripts in
    >>question?
    >>

    >What an absurd insinuation. I am mortified and demand an apology. I'm sure
    >Mr Everson would also demand an apology. The fact that this document was
    >posted first to the UTC doc register reflects only my faster-than-light
    >reflexes, being the person who insisted most emphatically on a revised
    >proposal.

    Rick, I apologise to you. You obviously are doing all that is reasonable
    to publish this document ASAP. I'm not so sure about apologising to Mr
    Everson; I would first like an explanation from him of why this updated
    version has not been made available at http://evertype.com/formal.html
    along with his other formal submissions. If the explanation is a polite
    one that he waits until the proposal is on the WG2 document register
    before he adds it to his web page, that will be sufficient.

    >>Will this "fullness of time" allow time for interested
    >>parties to comment to the UTC and to WG2 before the proposal is
    >>discussed by them? I am sure that these committees will want to make
    >>sure of this.
    >>

    >I find your tone and insinuations offensive. The "fullness of time" for
    >public posting of the document does not necessarily depend on Mr. Everson,
    >it depends more on when the WG2 convenor posts the document!

    I'm sorry if I misunderstood the procedure. Mr Everson's tone in his
    off-list reply seem to suggest that the paper would be released only
    when he saw fit. If I misunderstood him, I apologise.

    >>I am certain that WG2 will not be able to accept any proposal which
    >>has not been made public and on which the user community has not been
    >>given the opportunity to comment.
    >>

    >You mistake the procedure. One makes a document and submits it to the WG2
    >chair, who then is at liberty to post it, or not post it, on the WG2
    >website, at his sole discretion. The WG2 website happens to be publicly
    >accessible, and posting a document there *is* the act of making public. So
    >it is not that WG2 "accepts" only "public" documents; it is that the
    >document register of WG2 is open to the public.

    Thank you for explaining the procedure, which I had misunderstood.

    >>I have also accepted that this particular script should be
    >>encoded, but that certain other specific definitions should be
    >>made to enshrine within the standard the special close relationship
    >>between the various 22 character Semitic scripts.
    >>

    >After a month of rather unpleasant wrangling, it is a relief to hear you
    >publicly proclaim that you accept the encoding of Phoenician. Please do
    >propose some wording for "other specific definitions" and submit a document
    >with your suggestions. You would have at least a year, or two, between the
    >time Phoenician is accepted for encoded and the time a block intro to it
    >would be published. I'm sure the committee will welcome your input.

    Well, I did state this on the public list at least two weeks ago. It
    seems that at last you are reading what I write, instead of assuming my
    position from my failure to accept the Everson orthodoxy in its
    entirety. But I have also made it clear that I expect more than wording
    added to the block introduction. For example, I have proposed
    interleaved collation in DUCET. At an appropriate time I will make
    formal input along these lines. Indeed I have already drafted something,
    but have not submitted it partly because I was waiting for the promised
    revised proposal.

    >Since you have now concluded that the Phoenician script *should* be
    >encoded, a brief statement to that effect submitted to the Unicode online
    >Reporting Form would make it into the UTC record, and be appreciated.

    I will make a statement for the UTC record, but it will not be as brief
    as you seem to expect.

    --
    Peter Kirk
    peter@qaya.org (personal)