RE: Looking for transcription or transliteration standards latin- >arabic

From: D. Starner (shalesller@writeme.com)
Date: Fri Jul 09 2004 - 01:12:43 CDT

    > transliteration is no longer needed or useful. Transliteration
    > is a one-to-one mapping between scripts, and the reader needs to be familiar
    > with both scripts and the transliteration rules to make sense of it.

    That's not true. Looking at Wright's Historical German Grammar, I
    see "Goth. baírand, OHG. bërant=Skr. bháranti." It would be illegible
    to me, and probably many Germantists, if it were written in three
    scripts instead of one. Using foreign scripts is rarely of help to
    the casual reader, especially in the frequent cases where it's not
    important that understand the details of the transliteration scheme.

    Sign-up for Ads Free at Mail.com
    http://promo.mail.com/adsfreejump.htm