Re: Folding algorithm and canonical equivalence

From: E. Keown (k_isoetc@yahoo.com)
Date: Mon Jul 19 2004 - 19:03:06 CDT

           Elaine Keown
           Tucson

    Dear Mark and List:

    I have even less of an idea than usual what on earth
    you are all talking about, but....

    Today I am working on the 6th set of Hebrew
    diacritics. They are called 'Palestinian' and are
    found exclusively in the Cairo Genizah material.

    The 'Cairo Genizah' was a storeroom in a synagogue in
    Old Cairo = Fustat which had about 600 years of
    Hebrew, Aramaic, Judeo-Arabic, etc. material.

    In the Genizah they found some Hebrew manuscripts that
    people thought were permanently lost--no one had seen
    them since 100 C.E.

    Since May I have preliminary proposals for all the
    other Hebrew diacritics, but am waiting on the font
    before passing along the URLS to those who are
    interested.

    Mark wrote:
    >Even so, there's probably some language out there
    >that requires some diacritics left in place on Hebrew
    >letters (I don't know much about other languages
    >written in Hebrew letters; Elain Keown knows that
    >better). But this folding is *supposed* to lose data.
    >Even in Hebrew, folding away all the vowels leaves
    >something probably readable, but with

    There's a good list of languages written in Hebrew on
    my site---but I am still missing information on about
    11 others:
    http://www.lashonkodesh.org/hprelist.doc

    SECTION D:
    Variant letters for regional Jewish