Re: Errors in TUS Figure 15.2?

From: Peter Kirk (peterkirk@qaya.org)
Date: Mon Aug 02 2004 - 05:51:28 CDT

    On 02/08/2004 09:25, Antoine Leca wrote:

    >On Friday, July 30th, 2004 19:47, Peter Kirk va escriure:

    ><snip>

    >Otto answered:
    >

    >>>Read the paragraph immediately below that figure.
    >>>

    >>OK. I did. But I shouldn't have to do that as this figure is supposed
    >>to be an example of what has been specified before.
    >>

    >Then have a look at Unicode 3.0.1
    ><URL:http://www.unicode.org/reports/tr27/index.html#layout> and you will
    >understand what did happen: there was initially the way you expected; but
    >then (I cannot spot exactly when, but it should be possible to find this),
    >for backward consideration, this very behaviour (requesting ligatures) was
    >defeated for Arabic only. As a result, the table was updated, and now is
    >about useless. We really should provide examples from others scripts (Khmer
    >perhaps; and Sinhala, which appears to behave exactly this way according to
    >SLS 1134, the Ceylanese standard)

    Thank you for the explanation. I agree that the figure does not
    illustrate what it claims to illustrate, and so seems to be incorrect
    until you read the text which follows.

    >>And there is still a problem with the text before the figure.
    >>

    >Which text?

    As I wrote before,

    > There also seems to be an error in the text just before the figure
    > which states "In the Arabic examples, the characters on the left side
    > are in visual order already, but have not yet been shaped." In fact
    > they have been shaped, at least in the second and third rows - no
    > shaping applies (by default) to the fourth row.

    >I was noticing a problem, but it is not what you are pointing out. ...

    I agree that this looks like yet another problem.

    I am looking at this in order to answer an argument that the new
    proposal which I and a group of others have submitted on Hebrew Holam
    (L2/04-307, http://www.qaya.org/academic/hebrew/Holam3.pdf) does not
    conform to the TUS defined use of ZWNJ. Well, it seems that this whole
    section of TUS is such a mess that it is hard to determine what use
    actually is defined. It doesn't help that there is a difference of
    opinion on the definition of "ligature": is a ligature as referred to in
    this section a conceptual and graphical entity (as apparently in the TUS
    glossary definition), or is it a technical means of implementing
    rendering of certain character sequences within complex script rendering
    technology? Another argument against our proposal is that by defining
    ZWNJ as breaking a ligature I am specifying implementation. But that is
    based on a confusion of the senses of "ligature". The proposal refers
    primarily to ligatures as conceptual and graphical entities (although
    its terminology may not be 100% clear). How these are implemented in
    rendering engines is a matter for implementers, not for the standard.

    --
    Peter Kirk
    peter@qaya.org (personal)