Re: Combining across markup? (Was: RE: sign for anti-neutrino - g ree k nu with diacritical line aboveworkaround ?)

From: Philippe Verdy (verdy_p@wanadoo.fr)
Date: Thu Aug 12 2004 - 13:16:05 CDT

    From: "saqqara" <saqqara@csi.com>
    > This is one example where colour support in fonts would be useful. A
    useful
    > addition to the OpenType specifications if any readers here have influence
    > on such matters.
    >
    > Something I have a vested interest in with my own focus on Ancient
    Egyptian
    > Hieroglyphs.

    No need for that; markup can be made to allow selecting primary or secondary
    colors, and fonts don't need to encode color directly, but instead a set of
    related glyphs with their indexed color information; it's up to the styling
    renderer to allow specifying these colors, or give them some defaults.

    In classic text renderers we specify only 1 color, which apply to the whole
    glyph, but a font could specify the behavior of this color style face to
    internal color indexes (for example, a unique "black" color could be
    transformed by a renderer as a shade of black computed with help of the
    font's color information; classic fonts don't have this information and do
    not map a style color to an effective glyph color with a transformation
    function, but this is a possible extension of font formats).